FWB.Net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWB.Net

A Community Forum for Free Will Baptist and others who hold to Arminian beliefs and views.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
matt633

Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home? Empty
PostSubject: Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home?   Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 4:33 pm

I know that an Arminian can know that he is saved presently. I was an Arminian for 15 years and knew that if I died I would go to heaven at that moment. I also know that Arminians do not necessarily believe that sin causes a Christian to fall from grace but that the way to doom for a Christian is by a forfeiture of faith.

What I did not know, and what it seems to me that NO Arminian CAN know, is that my final destination would certainly be heaven. I had no assurance that I would endure to the end and thus I recognized the logical conclusion of my beliefs: that I could serve Christ for years then forfeit my faith in him and be doomed to the lake of fire forever. I realized that this was a real possibility (perhaps not probability but certainly a possibility).

If it is possible for one to "lose" his salvation then it is impossible for him to know that he will be in heaven one day.

So I invite other perspectives. Is it possible for an Arminian to KNOW that he will go to heaven since he probably does not know when he will die nor if he will endure in faith to that day.
Back to top Go down
fredbird67

Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home?   Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm a former Southern Baptist who recently switched to a Free Will Baptist Church (MAJOR grievances with the local SBC association director). Southern Baptists, of course, believe in once-saved-always-saved. However, I actually ran across something once on WorldNetDaily that refutes that. Believe it or not, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels were once born-again believers who had an...I think atheist professor in college who had convinced them that Christianity was a fraud, and since they didn't have the resources to refute what he had to say...well, the rest is history.

Therefore, in light of that, I would say that yes, one can reject their faith -- but at the same time, I can't help but wonder, why would anyone in their right mind want to? Also, most if not all of the warnings in scripture regarding forfeiting one's faith were targeted toward believers in New Testament times who were being pressured by society in general to return to Judaism. I'm no theologian, but I would expect that the pressure to ditch Christianity back then was HUGE, thus the numerous warnings against falling away.

For the record, our pastor, at the Free Will Baptist church I attend, believes in eternal security (odd for a Free Will Baptist pastor, but true).
Back to top Go down

Can an Arminian really KNOW that heaven is his home?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FWB.Net :: Arminian Theology :: Arminian Beliefs-
Jump to: